Contact Me

Feel free to ask a question or make a comment about anything: www.calistaquinn@gmail.com

Monday, February 16, 2009

Sleep Over... Like a Horror Flick... Come to Life!

As I sit in the chair in our room, I hear the wind whipping around the house, rattling the flue in the fireplace in our room, and blowing rain hard upon the windows. Outside a wild storm is blowing, what trees still have leaves on them are being tossed around and their leaves ripped from their branches. It is a torrent out there, but in the sounds I find peace as what is going on within the walls of our home… is anything but… it is a SLEEPOVER!!!

Really, a sleepover is an oxymoron. It is a stay up over, or a drive mom insane over. Seriously, whatever possessed me to have a sleepover with 4 girls, has vanished and the overwhelming sense of sleep deprivation is now in full swing. I have heard giggles, laughs, spats, Horton Hears a Who, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc. I tried to concentrate on the storms fury, for an odd place to find peace but it is unmatched by 4 little girls!

Prior to the sleepover I had channeled my inner Martha. Oh I had grand ideas of treats, and dinner, and a movie night! An hour after their arrival, my hair was no longer in it’s clip, I was exhausted, and dinner hadn’t been served yet!!! Following Dinner we had to make necklaces out of candy beads, so there was the whole debate on who get’s what, so I ran in there, already ready to breath fire (Have I told you that Calista is not one with patience?). I take the beads calmly (And this is feat for me since I have now heard drama for 2 hours straight!) and disburse them evenly amongst the girls. They then string the necklaces, drop all the beads off and then must start again!!!!

Following that, I decided we needed some downtime, so Colin makes Popcorn and we set down the girls (Oh did I tell you we have 2 six year olds, a 7 year old and one 10 year old? Maybe the ages was the first mistake, but I am not too sure I am ready to admit that). We put on Horton Hears a Who. I had heard this movie was fantastic. Was it? Can’t tell you, because every 5 minutes is was “Auntie, Can I have?”, or “Mommy, Can I have?” , or me saying “Sit down, before I change my mind and it is bed time” or “Can we sit with you?”. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I look around and Colin is no where to be found. He is smart. He is hiding! Well maybe not hiding but definitely upstairs in the comfort of his bed with the Beagle Rosie, watching real television that is not even animated! I want to be so irritated, but I can’t be, this “sleepover” was not his idea.

So finally it is bedtime. The storm is still surging, and I am thinking I will sleep with the sounds of nature outside of my room. I shut my eyes begin to think good thoughts, then feel something touch my arm, I jump and scream, as I was half way between sleep and consciousness. “Auntie… I have a bloody nose!” OMGosh! So now we are pushing 11pm. So I take my niece and get her a Kleenex and let her lay with me. Then she asks to wash her hair. What? Can’t this wait till morning? Ohhhh apparently not, because this wasn’t your average bloody nose, I feel her hair which is matted in blood, now I am grossed out! Not just regular grossed out, but Pregnant grossed out! Colin is asleep and dead to the world. Again, this was not his idea. Ugh!!! Why didn’t I listen to him???? Shhhh! Don’t tell him that!

So I take her in the bathroom to the sink, and begin to wash her hair. As I am watching it, I realize if there is this much in her hair, OMGosh what Elise’s bed must look like! I go in there, and Elise who when she sleeps is as dead to the world as Colin, is laying a half and inch from what looks to be carnage. I can’t deal! I see a blanket, and my solution is a little Scarlett O’Hare. I throw the blanket over it so I can “Think about it tomorrow!”. I come back to my room, where my niece informs me that she really wants to sleep with us. (Ohhhhhh, No!) We have a queen sized bed for a reason thank you very much! So I tell her she must sleep in the chair, which fits her fine with the ottoman it is like a twin bed. So she sleeps there…. So I think…. Finally I am off to dream world again, when again, I feel the tapping! OMGosh, now I am losing my patience, as my sanity dwindles from no freaking sleep!!! “Auntie, I really want to sleep with you” “My darling niece, get in the lovely chair, so I can get some sleep please???????”

Note to self… Sleep overs… need to wait… for years possibly. I need a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment