Contact Me

Feel free to ask a question or make a comment about anything: www.calistaquinn@gmail.com

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

4th Grade Mission Projects: Not For The Faint Of Heart, Part 1


Mission projects... Did you know there were kits out there to complete a Mission in record time, with the model actually looking like said Mission? Novel Idea, I didn't!


Elise came home with the instructions for her mission project. There were all kinds of household items listed on what could be used. We decided we wanted to use rice krispie treats even though they were not on the list. I emailed Mrs. C, who said it was a wonderful idea! We were stoked, we were excited, we were original, we were.... INSANE!!!


Last weekend we scoured the store for the big box of Krispies... Um... Why are they all out? There were no large boxes so we were stuck with the regular boxes... 6 of them! and 6 bags of marshmallows. We had decided to use chocolate necco wafers for the roof tiles (for the record, Colin's idea) I had no idea people still ate necco wafers (and I apologize in advance to the necco people), because they are GROSS! I do not get the idea behind them, a chocolate flavored sugar cube flattened and powdered, ugh! I am having a preggo food aversion with threats of Morning sickness at the mere thought of it all!


Apparently, said chocolate necco wafers, are not very popular indeed, people prefer the multicolored fruit flavored sugar cubes flattened and powdered (oh here come the aversions again!!!!). We looked at 4 grocery stores, three drug stores, before desperately stumbling upon these faux chocolate atrocities at a freak GAS STATION???


So we go home... I carefully plot out the floor plan of Elise's mission, with her help, and with my Drafters skill (hey I took a semester in high school, I know what I am doing!). Then Elise makes the treats with Colin's help of course and they place them in cookie sheets, so we had about 6 huge sheets of treats.


We decided to allow the treats to set and harden (aka we were all just about as tired of this project as we can get already!). Then last night Colin and Elise began cutting the pieces and mocking up the mission. I went and watched TV as I had suddenly just remembered Colin's history with Model Making, and his precision orientation, which is far different from my, shall we say interpretive approach? So I decided to let the master and apprentice take over, plus Judge Judy was on, and I am a Huge Fan! (Go Judy! Go Judy! Go!) Side Note: Never Co-sign for anyone, it is one of the Judge's cardinal rules, lol!


Ok. so they mock up this mission, when it occurs to Colin, that the only way to get a realistic roof is to create Trusses. Say what? Oh and he is serious. So now, Trusses have to be built tonight out of pretzels mind you to hold the roof. OMGosh, am I ever going to survive this project???? Why didn't I buy the kit????


To Be Continued.... (in the next issue, Truss Building and Royal Icing Mortar Combat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment