Contact Me

Feel free to ask a question or make a comment about anything: www.calistaquinn@gmail.com

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ob Appointment, and my latest meeting with the Internal Ultrasound Wand

So yesterday I go into my appointment, it is raining and cold here in not so sunny California, but I am clad in capri's and flip flops so as not to repeat the weigh in of the last appointment where I was in sweats, a sweatshirt and uggs! I swear it all weighed 20 extra pounds, but it could just be me. Freezing I step on the scale, and do not see all 20 pounds shed off, ugh! but at least 3 are gone! Freezing for 3 freaking pounds... not a great plan.

We go back and she does my blood pressure, which is uber low, yay me!!!! I thought the fact that I was sweating bullets might have raised it but apparently not! Now feeling stronger and more confident by this news we move on to the exam room. Out comes the speculum a.k.a. "The Duck". Nooooo!!!! Then in comes the machine with the two foot long internal Ultrasound wand, and grab my chest thinking of the close call with the punctured lung at the last appointment!

I talked to the Nurse Practitioner who is in charge of this appointment, and tell her that I do not want the duck. She looks at me quizzically (oh come on! like they haven't heard it referred to as that before!) Now I feel the bullets of sweat coming back. I explain that I have pelvic separation (which is ohhhhh so painful and will most likely lead to bed rest, which for the rest of you may mean hourly Calista Posts, because what else will I be able to do?) "Ok, Ok," She says, I just was going to test for Chlamydia and the G virus (can't think of the name). I am like "what?" She says we do it for all pregnancies. I explain that I do not need the test as Colin and I have been together since I was 16, we work for the family business with my parents, all day, together... ohhh what will retirement lead to??? So really he has no opportunity to cause any of this to happen. She tells me some women are surprised! Ugh! She would really feel better if I did it, and it is after all of this, she tells me they have a pee in a cup test for it! Hello??? Why wouldn't they do that anyway???? Why invade occupied territory for a swab, why, tell me why, they didn't do that with the last battery of tests I had to do, sheesh! So I relent, and tell her if it will make her feel better, fine I will pee in a cup (basically, I had to go so bad at that point, it was worth it just to be able to go!!!!)

First she says we should do the ultrasound. So she tries abdominally, but nothing... panic is rising, then she says, well you are not thin, so we will go internal! I am not thin? Really because then I must have fun house mirrors because I swore I was a Giselle Bundchen beauty! Hello? I think they just like to poke and prod and since she was deprived of the swab on comes the two foot wand. I ask her to be gentle that my lungs have a way of jumping out at sticks, (not really but i was trying to get plain Jane to laugh... to no avail, I must add.)

All of a sudden the baby bubble jumps on the screen, the prodding of said two foot wand, has awoken bean, and it begins to dance and swim around. I see the head (the really big looking nose, please no Mr. Potato Head babies!!), the two arms, two legs. I see the spine, and the umbilical cord. The beauty of a miracle from God. I feel peace, then a it looks into the picture if I didn't know better, I would swear it was flipping it off for waking it up! I tell the nurse, "Wow it looks pretty developed for 9 weeks!" She does the measurements, and sees I am at 10 weeks 4 days! Only 10 days until the 12 week first trimester, deep breaths mark! Woo Hoo!!! What an excellent sign!!!

So I left the office feeling pretty good about Bean. Feeling more confident that this little miracle will be coming home with me this September, to nuzzle and coo, scream and poo. I would post pics, but we still haven't told Elise or Emma or the rest of the fam (other than parents) so to honor all of them, I will wait until I am able to share it with all of them. Thanks for listening!!!

1 comment:

  1. Things are looking great. Can't wait to hear more Bean and Mommy Adventures.

    ReplyDelete