Contact Me

Feel free to ask a question or make a comment about anything: www.calistaquinn@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Who's the Doctor here?

Oh My Goodness! I have decided to look for a new pediatrician. The girls had the BESTEST pediatric doctor ever, I know because she was mine when I was their age. When she decided to retire, before Bean was born, I nearly had a break down! How? why? What?

"How can you retire I ask? You were my Pediatrician!" I say desperately! "Exactly." she says, and in that moment I knew, not only was I losing the BESTEST pediatrician ever, I was also old.... but that is another blog.... So she gave a choice of three doctors, only one was a girl, so having girls I took her.

When I went in for Bean's 2 month appointment, I met her for the first time. I stared at her with out looking like I was staring ... I think. In my mind I am calculating her age, because at the very oldest I estimate her at 17! Not a hint of a wrinkle, bright glowing skin, boundless energy... by now I am pretty sure my stare is a glare so I look away. All I could think was "Great... Doogie Howser!" How could I trust a doctor who was younger than I, with no kids, and who was that cute? It just wasn't happening!

I talked to my friends and my mom, all of whom told me to give her a chance. Young doctors are more eager they tell me, young doctors know all the latest... yet still I had my reservations... Call it mother's intuition.... Call it ESP... Call it Calista is RIGHT!

I walked out of Bean's 4 month appointment stunned. I re-played the appointment over and over, and I half laugh, half grimace. I was so irritate, yet so stunned, that I had to at least chuckle and shake my head.

Bean was born 5 weeks early, she was little, 3lbs 13 oz. So even know at 7 months she is a mere 13 pounds. I take her in for her 4 month appointment. Dr. Howser tells me, "At 4 months we recommend starting cereal, what do you think?" I just kind of looked at her, why was she asking me? "Well," I state, "Bean is 4 months old yes, however we like to judge her milestones from her due date, which would mean that she is only 2 months 3 weeks and no where near ready for food." "Good point!" Dr Howser says, clearly thinking about what I had just said, and making a mental note.

At Bean's 6 month appointment the insanity continues. Bean is now able to eat food and so I make her food myself... The doctor asks what she eats and I told her, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Banana, Oatmeal, Apple Sauce, Brown Rice and Chicken. "Oh," she says looking concerned, "I hope you cut the chicken up really small for her!" This is the last straw, I can't contain myself any longer. I pull a Bill Engevall on her, "No way!" I say with all the sarcasm I can muster, "I give her a drumstick and tell her good luck!"

Seriously... I need a new pediatrician!

No comments:

Post a Comment