Contact Me

Feel free to ask a question or make a comment about anything: www.calistaquinn@gmail.com

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hollywood Moms vs The Real Mom

I don't know how many shows I have watched that are **gasp** "Reality" shows, where the mom looks like she has never had a child, no stretch marks, no dark circles, all perfectly coordinated fashion, then it shows them hand the child to a disheveled mom type, aka the Nanny!

Now I am not slamming mom's with Nanny's, but i just think that these Hollywood mom's give us an unrealistic expectation of ourselves. We expect more that we can possibly do because normal, everyday moms do not have housekeepers, nannies, or a personal assistant. You notice that on a lot of these shows, these staff members are rarely shown, because the show is about the mom and how she deals with her busy life and kids.

I watch Bravo's Real Housewives series, yes, I admit it. I am addicted. What kills me, is they have many women who are not even married, so where the wives of housewives comes in is beyond me. I watch it, and at one point, I found myself wondering why I can't look so put together, why my house wasn't as clean, even though I knew why! I am missing my staff! Ha! That is when I began to really ponder these shows. Yes I still watch, because their drama is hilarious, and often so inconsequential in the whole scheme of life, that I am just waiting for them to realize this. I am waiting for them to have the epiphany, that no it doesn't really matter if so and so wears the same dress as you, and no it doesn't matter if they use last season's shoes or last season's purse.

Life is what you make of it. These women should be giving of themselves, really giving of themselves as they are in a position to. I am not talking about giving away their money, but giving of their time, and not then arguing over who is doing what on the step and repeat, or who's name is or isn't on the step and repeat, because NEWS FLASH, no body reads the damned step and repeat! Nobody! Sponsors are you reading this?

These women need to be real, and to admit that they can do none of the glamour and all of their fab parties and socialite stuff without their staff! Admit it! Be honest, and let the average mom off the hook!

2 comments:

  1. I am also a mom of three, and have a weird addiction to the Housewives series. It's the only "reality" show I watch, I think because it is so far removed from my reality!!! In the Orange County series there is a mom with 3 kids. Of course she's HOT, and at the gym all the time, and she has lots of love for her hubbby. When they first introduce her, she goes on and on about being a Stay at Home and how its SOOOOO hard with 3 kids. Then they introduce full-time nanny #1 and full-time nanny #2. She needs to spend a day in the trenches and then get back to me. I probably wouldn't watch it anymore though, 'cause where's the fun is watching what I do everyday?

    Excited I found your site. Looking forward to more from you.

    http://shoekeflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! I was thinking of the same mom! I was blown away by how hard it was getting botox, working out, and handing the kids off to the nanny. Oh well, I guess hard is relative, right?

    ReplyDelete