Contact Me

Feel free to ask a question or make a comment about anything: www.calistaquinn@gmail.com

Friday, January 9, 2009

To Work or Not to Work? The Stay At Home Mom vs Working Mom Controversy

I think this is a topic that most women have a very strong opinion on. Most women lean to either side and have a great passion about their choice, and their reasonings behind that choice. Personally, I am not really on one side or the other. Maybe that is because I work part time, and so I feel like I am in the middle? Not sure on that one.

Does a Stay At Home Mother care more about her child than a working Mother? Does she sacrifice more for her children when she stays home? Does a working mom, put herself and her materialism above her children?

I believe the answers to these questions in most cases are No to all. Unfortunately, not only in this economy, but in today's times, it is increasingly difficult to live off of one income. It definitely can be done, and it is definitely a sacrifice but so many other aspects must be in place for it to work out in the long run.

The unfortunate reality in many of the children's lives, is that parent's are no longer always in it to win it for whatever reason. Divorce rates are sky high, as such there are many single parents out there. Single parents do not have the luxury of staying at home. They must work to provide for their children. They must work to cover the basics. It isnt a choice. Therefore, is this person putting materialism above their children? No they are just trying to feed their children and give them shelter.

There are some two income families who barely make ends meet. The cost of living is sky high, and I believe that because of the world we are apart of, we have great expectations of what we should have or not have. We all want our children to have what Johnny and Steve have, and the only way to do that is work more, work longer, work harder. Are we making a mistake? Time will tell.

I believe that in a perfect world, one parent would stay home with the children. I personally, work part time during the hours that my children attend school. I am blessed to be able to bring my children to work with me when they are off track, or have a holiday. I am able to stay home if they are ill. Not everyone has this luxury, I completely understand that.

What I do not understand is the downright nastiness I have heard from women to each other with opposing view points. If you are a stay at home mom, why do you hold such anger for the working mom? If you are a working mom why do you hold anger for the stay at home mom? I think that as mothers we have a common bond. We may have different ways, and different views, but our children are our priority. If the end means is the same, why do we rag on each other for different ways to get there? We should be supporting each other. Talking to each other, we are moms, and we are valuable.

So the next time you see someone who is doing life differently, maybe you should think about how you can appreciate the differences, learn from them, teach from them, and get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment