Contact Me

Feel free to ask a question or make a comment about anything: www.calistaquinn@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Autumn, A Time For Crisp Cool Weather and Pumpkins...Well other than in California

The weather forecast taken from WCAX.Com out of Vermont: Cool and cloudy will be the theme as we end the weekend. The bright side is weather like this gives you a good excuse to hang indoors and watch football.

The weather forecast taken from KCRA.Com out of California: Hot temperatures continue today. A weather system to our north will pull a few thin clouds into our afternoon skies, expect highs in the mid 90s. Monday and Tuesday will be the hottest days in the upper 90s to about 100 degrees.

Really? 100 degrees? We are practically into October, yet suffering through a hot spell that rarely made itself known this summer. Maybe we are paying for our good fortune this summer with a record number of days in the bearable beautiful 80's.

If it was up to me, California would be a 4 season state, at least a month of fall and a month of spring would be nice. Instead we go from 90's generally and plummet to the 60's to the 50's and even 40's on a particularly harsh winter (ok, you colder states, laugh away, but in California if you can't wear flip flops all year round, it's cold!). Then when spring hits, we go from those 50's to 90's in record time.

I swear one day I have trees of green leaves, and the next they are bald, where are our california colors? Oh I forgot you have to go to the foothills for that! So we pack the car with 2000 pounds of kids, a stroller, cooler, snacks, diapers, changes of clothes, color books, DS lites, rattles, and talking dogs for the 45 minute drive to Jackson or an hour to Apple Hill to stay for a couple of hours, pick some apples, pick some pumpkins, buy a pie, eat a picnic then, pack up said 2000 pounds again for the 45 minute drive home, just to experience autumn.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, because I never have to shovel a driveor a walk, worry about a spring flood, we don't have twisters, however our ground does shake from time to time, but no siren's going off warning us to head underground, no freezes with 150 car pileups on the turnpikes. We don't even have turnpikes. We do have the dreaded fog, which I actually enjoy with my gold canyon candles burning Autumn Walks scent, and my cup of tea in hand.

I suppose with every season, I keep hoping California will gain a little seasonal diversity. It's truly hard to decorate for Christmas when it is still in the 70's and sunny. There is no white Christmas in Sacramento, unless you truck in the white, which trust me is not cheap, or buy the fake stuff, to sprinkle around, which is annoying as it doesn't go away, in summer I am finding snowflakes on the carpet! Ugh!

I often wonder how people in Hawaii or Australia, feel the holiday season, when everything is geared towards snow in the advertisements, cards, movies, and songs. I suppose when I can drive 2 hours to get to the snow lineor 2 hours in the other direction to the fog of the San Francisco, I shan't complain. However, I still do... because I am still awaiting my cool crisp mornings, with the leaves crunching beneath my feet, the steam of the cider warming my nose, the fire crackling in the hearth, and that oatmeal colored cable knit sweater I bought from LL Bean in one moment of spontaneity to make sense here in California in October. Guess I will keep waiting.... and waiting... and waiting....

No comments:

Post a Comment